Monday, November 28, 2011

What's on My Kindle: November 2011

I've posted before about my obsession with reading and some of the books that I have on my Kindle. For those who are concerned about the loss of "real" books due to eReaders, take heart, not only do I buy copious amounts of digitized books for my Kindle and iPad, I also buy books from new and used booksellers both online and in brick and mortar stores. My family is currently waiting for me to die under a stack of books in the next big earthquake.

I am always interested in what other people are reading so I thought I would once again share some of the titles that I currently have on my Kindle. The following is simply a list, not a review of books. I review books for the genealogy newsletter GenWeekly so some of the books have been reviewed there. I read mostly non-fiction and my tastes encompass social history, religious history, food history, quilts,  women's history and genealogy. Feel free to leave a comment about what book/s you are currently enjoying.

Just a note: I've linked the title below to make it easier for you to find. I in no way benefit from the links, I am not an Amazon affiliate.


True Miracles with Genealogy by Anne Bradshaw (both volumes 1 and 2)

Genealogy Using Chicago Maps and Property Records by Jennifer Holik-Urban

The Big Genealogy Blog Book by Amy Coffin

Food and Everyday Life on Kentucky Family Farms, 1920-1950 by John Van Willigen and Anne Van Willigen

The Ballad of Tom Dooley: A Ballad Novel by Sharyn McCrumb

Legacy: The Story of Talula Gilbert Bottoms and her Quilts by Nancilu Burdick

Civil War Resources on the Internet by Nancy Hendrickson ( I actually have most of Nancy's ebooks)

Storied Dishes:What our Family Recipes Tell us About Who We Are and Where We've Been by Linda Murray Berzok

Stand Facing the Stove: The Story of the Women who gave American the Joy of Cooking by Anne Mendelson


Killer Stuff and Tons of Money: Seeking History and Hidden Gems in Flea-Market America by Maureen Stanton


Eating History: Thirty Turning Points in the Making of American Cuisine by Andrew Smith




Now it's your turn. What's on your bookshelf?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I may need to get a copy of the "Joy of Cooking" biography.

Irma Starkey Rombauer had connections to St. Louis. She gave a talk at Famous-Barr (then our largest deparment store) at the time the 2nd edition (1st commercial edition) was published. My aunt attended the talk and bought the book, which I now own.

So we have had "Joy of Cooking" in our family from the earliest times.

Gena Philibert-Ortega said...

Sue, I think you will enjoy it. There is quite a bit of family history in the book.