Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Women's History Month 2021: Finding Museum Publications Online

Image by 377053 via Pixabay https://pixabay.com/users/377053-377053/

Yesterday I suggested taking a look at museum publications in your search for female ancestors. Today, I want to provide a look at one such publication and what it can offer as an example of why these are important research sources.

Today I'm focusing on a publication in  Google Books. If you have ever heard me present you know that Google Books has long been a favorite of mine. But I equally love Internet Archive and Hathi Trust.  

Google Books can be searched by your ancestor's name or any keyword/keywords you choose. 

I did a search on the term "museum" and limited it to the 20th century (once you conduct your search and get your results, click on Tools at the top and then click on Any Time. In the drop-down menu you can choose a century or add a custom date range).

In my results list was The Bulletin of the Cleveland Museum of Art. Because these issues were from 1919, they are in the public domain and can be downloaded to a computer or mobile device.




So where do I find women in this publication from the Cleveland Museum of Art? I find them on pages announcing gifts and donations.



I find them in the obituaries of their husbands who supported or was somehow involved in the museum.


Mrs. Eells is shown at the end of her husband's obituary. Now, what's the problem? Well, we don't get her first name so you might think this is worthless. But think again. What does this tell us? That she outlived him and doesn't die until after 11 February 1919.

Where else do I find women? One the staff and board of the museum. 



And finally in the reporting of the activities of the museum.



So treasures for genealogical research can be found at the museum and online in digitized book websites. Tomorrow we will explore more museum publications for your genealogical research. 

See you tomorrow!


No comments: