Saturday, March 04, 2023

Women's History Month 2023: Her Collections

 As we consider material culture and our female ancestors, we should start with recent generations and work backward, just as we do with research. The benefit of working on the story of more recent generations is that we may have personally known the person. It's easier to answer questions and write about people we knew. 

When I think of women in my family, one of my memories is the items they collected. I had a maternal aunt that had a huge salt and pepper shaker collection that I loved to look at. My maternal grandmother had a few vintage travel plates on her kitchen wall. My mom collected eye wash cups.

I've also been lucky enough to have others share their collections. One of my favorites is button collections like this one that was once on display at Knott's Berry Farm. Next to each button is the name of the person who provided the collector with the button. I've had the honor of looking at other collections where they, too, noted the giver. 


Knott's Berry Farm Museum. Photo by Gena Philiebrt-Ortega


Today, I want you to consider what the women in your family collected. Did your mother, grandmother, or great-grandmother have something they collected? Maybe it was something that meant a lot to them because of nostalgia or memories of travel. What does her collection tell you about her?

  • What did she collect?
  • Where did she acquire these items?
  • Why did she collect that item?
  • Did another family member have a similar collection?
  • Were there any connections to other family members?
  • Was she a member of an organization or club because of this collection?
  • Did she show her collection at a fair or other event?
  • Are there any names or identifying information attached to the collection?
  • How was the collection displayed?
  • Where is the collection now?


Writing about her collection is one way to add to the story of her life. Family members not interested in the facts of genealogical research enjoy learning the story of ancestors' lives. This is one way to help tell her story. 

No comments: