Friday, February 09, 2018

Review: New York Genealogy from IDG


Let me just start by saying that I’m a big fan of laminate guides. These short, informative reference pieces are perfect for reviewing a subject or learning more about a topic when you’re short on time (or money). I have written such a guide and I’ve helped edit them. I have a few next to my desktop computer. I love them.

So when I was asked to review the latest offering by the In-Depth Genealogist, I gladly accepted. The first thing that I noticed about IDG’s latest InBrief guide to New York Genealogy is that it’s written by Larry Naukum. Larry knows New York genealogy. Larry’s background includes more than 30 years of public library reference work. A resident of New York, he is currently involved with the Rochester Genealogical Society; the Digital Public Library of America; the Church Records Preservation Committee of the RGS; and as a volunteer scanner and cataloger for various local historical societies, libraries and town historians in New York State. Larry is a passionate, enthusiastic genealogy professional who knows what he’s talking about. So Larry knows New York genealogy and is an expert  guide to helping researchers navigate those records.

The nice thing about these types of guides  is they provide you with a handy reference. It’s just enough of a foundation to get you started and provide you with background information but not so much that you feel overwhelmed. This guide's Research Strategies section gives you ideas about what records exist and where to find them. The Migration Routes and Motivations section is especially useful in providing an historical background to why your ancestor may have ended up in NY. Other information found on this guide include a Timeline and an introduction that reminds the researcher that "An extremely important item to remember about research in New York State is that there is New York City, and the rest of the state. Many vital and other records concerning the five counties which comprise today’s New York City itself are not kept in other parts of the state. European settlements in the eastern and southeastern part of the state date from the early 1600’s, while parts of the western area were not fully established until the 1860’s. New York has mandated historians at the village, town, city, county and state level since the early 1920s."

And then there are the Resources, almost 2 pages of websites and books for everything from repositories to places to find records.


New York Genealogy by Larry Naukam  sells for $2.75 as a PDF on the IDG website and $9.95 as a laminated guide. Visit the IDG website at http://theindepthgenealogist.com/shop-idg/idg-products/http://theindepthgenealogist.com/shop-idg/idg-products/ to purchase this NY resource.

IDG also has 16 other guides and their fabulous magazine that you can also check out at the link above. Subscribers to the digital magazine, Going In-Depth, receive a 10% discount on purchase of each guide. 


*Disclaimer or also known as The Fine Print: I do know Larry and I know the women of IDG. I also write for IDG and was furnished a preview copy of New York Genealogy so that I could review it.  However, no one told me what to say and if I didn't like it, believe me you would know. 

No comments: